Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fitness News #58 - How to Avoid Junk Food


Over the last couple of weeks I've been thinking about how much less junk food I eat, compared with about 3 years ago.  While there were many crimes, excessive soft drinks was way up there.  This morning sitting in the cafe, post bike club training ride, a lady I was chatting with go onto the topic of food addiction and non satisfaction.  Fundamentally she was saying that sugar based calories, in particular fructose did not trigger a message in the brain saying that you have eaten enough.  Then she went on to talk about how certain foods and chemicals cause addictiveness.  Well I have to agree, give me high sugar products like soft drinks, I can consume a bottomless amount and the junk was so compelling.

 

How to Avoid eating Junk


Don't buy it.  I'm serious, the bulk of junk eaten you have purchased yourself.  OK, but how do you get there, well I did it thru a process of migration.

Migration #1 - No junk food in the house

Walk away from the computer now and go to your fridge and pantry.  Make a list of what junk food you have.  Now promise to yourself that you will never bring it into the house again.

The majority of the food you eat is eaten at home.  If junk isn't in the fridge, then its not going to say 'eat me' every time you open the fridge.

Migration #2 -Eat the best food first

 You know what you want to eat to be healthy, make the effort to eat that food first.  Odd's on that will satisfy you and then the junk desire will be reduced or eliminated.

Migration #3 - The right selection when out and about

Whether that be in the food hall at the shopping centre or any other food purchasing situation, look at the value of the food by what it represents nutritionally, for example I'll put a preference to a serving that includes a green salad.

Migration #4 - Portion control

This isn't about denial, its where you end up once the addiction has been eliminated.  A recent example for me is how long its taking me to eat my easter eggs, I still have a pretty decent sash.  When I eat them, I only eat a fraction of what I would eaten in the past.

So what is the light at the end of the tunnel

Well where I ended up is that I eat a fraction of the junk I use to eat and the underlining reason for that is that I curtailed that addictive desirability, there is no denial, just a lack of interest.  Also my food costs considerably less

 

New RPM release - RPM55


On Saturday the RPM instructors got to preview the new release, we did a class at Darling Harbour.  See the picture, there were something like 150 bikes in the audience, occupied by instructors.  On stage was 5 instructors delivering the release.

So what's in the new release, you are asking...  OK, I'll spill the beans  :)



1 Listen To The Music (Motiv8 Extended Mix) - The Doobie Brothers
2 We Found Love    - Miss Piper
3 Loco (Empyre One Remix) - Manian
4 Good Feeling    - Flo Rida
5 Run With The Wolves - The Prodigy
6 Drowning (Avicii Remix) - Armin Van Buuren Feat. Laura V
7 Will I Ever (Dragon And Hunter Remix) - Paffendorf Feat. Fara
8 Paradise - Coldplay
9 Not Over You - Gavin DeGraw
Bonus 7 Overload 2011 (Voodoo & Serano Mix) - Voodoo & Serano

 

Classes

Fitness First 
Rockdale Mon 6.00am Ride
Five Dock Mon 5.45pm RPM
Rockdale Tue 6.30pm RPM
Top Ryde Wed 5.45pm Ride (new class)
Walker St Thu 6.00am RPM
Rockdale HiPf Sat 8.15am RPM
 
YMCA
Riverwood Mon 7.30pm RPM
Riverwood Tue 6.15am RPM
SCG
Stadium Fitness Centre Friday 6.15am RPM

Sleep Ride Eat Repeat
 

3 comments:

  1. Junk food is okay in moderation...

    Tailored with the rest of the day, begin organised food-wise by healthy and good stuff.

    The drink issue is sadly a big problem as the manufacturers of sugary or seemingly healthy power-bottles keep producing interesting looking and colourful bottles of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, there's still some in my life but now its under control

      Delete