Sunday, March 18, 2012

Fitness News #53 - What happened to Mike



Fitness News

Inline image 1

You may of noticed that I disappeared to NZ and you never heard from me again.  What happened was that I had an accident

Mikes Accident


What happened

The day I was due to return
to Australia was the same day as the start of the NSW track championships, so
I was keen not to have 3 weeks of doing nothing and then race.  So while I was there, I continued to train,
using my sisters bike.

On Saturday 28th
January, I was riding with a group of about 15 riders in the Waitakere ranges,  on Lone Kauri rd when I
crashed.  I have no recollection of the
accident was I was knocked out, but what I was told was that I was going
around a right hand corner at about 40kph, lost the front end, tried to save
it.

I was told I was knocked out for 2 minutes and was not coherent for another 5 minutes.  Fortunately there was a doctor in the bike
group and he took great care of me. Despite the remote location, it didn't seem that long before the Ambulance came.

Injuries

In hospital, the list of
my injuries came clear;
-         Broken skull (at rear)
-         Broken face bones around right eye
-         Blood clot in my brain
-         Broken ribs
-         Broken collar bone
-         Minor grazes
-         Blood in my right eyeball
Despite having 2 blows to my head and a blow to my shoulder, I had no spinal injury at all and despite the broken ribs, did not puncture my lung.

Hospital

I spent 4 nights in Auckland's North Shore hospital, which ironically was where I was born.  For the first 2 nights they woke me up every hour and checked my eyes, they were looking for signs related to my brain. Wasn't so bad on the second night, the nurse was hot J
Thought the hospital food picture would amuse you, but I freaked a bit and instructed my relos to bring protein rich food.  In the Getting better picture, I'm pointing at the window, saying take a picture of he view, which is of lake Pupuke, which I use to sailed on as a teenager.  Talked my way out of the hospital after 4 nights, it was dead boring, no TV, no internet

Escape from NZ

I was suppose to fly back to Australia on the 4th Feb, but I missed that flight as I wasn't in good enough nick to fly back and stayed another 12 days till I was able to fly back.

Back in Australia I had another CT scan and the blood clot was gone!!!!

Brief return to the gym and transport, something goes wrong

24th February I briefly returned to gym, doing classes with my right arm in a sling, I couldn't drive a car as the seatbelt went over my right shoulder, so I used a combination of train's, taxi's and an electric bike.  But it was short lived, as a complication had  crept in… my collarbone that was in alignment after the accident had moved and the ends where now 2.5cm apart.  I was now
facing non-union and my right shoulder was an inch narrower than my left shoulder, to leave it as it was would leave me with a permanent disability, there was only one obvious choice

Collarbone operation

On the 6th March I went under the knife and had my collarbone screwed and plated.  They also did a bone graft using a substance derived from shells, no need to take a piece from your hip any more.  Best decision I ever made.  12 days later the road to full recovery is on its way!!!!!

Weigh In

In Fitness News #50, I said I had pre weighed in at 78kg (Friday 23rd December)  and I would weigh in back on Friday 13th January, when I also weighed in at 78kg.  On the 24th February I weighed in 75kg, a 3kg weight loss. I'll weigh in again on Friday the 23rd March and give you a report in the next edition on how I managed my weight while I wasn't exercising due to been injured, along with the 7 deadly sins – fitness style.


Bike Racing


Due to my injuries, I missed the NSW track championships and then the Australian track championships

At this point I'm booked for a road race in Wollongong
in May


Classes


I restart doing classes on Friday.  All classes except Rockdale Monday 6am will be the new RPM release

SCG
Stadium Fitness Centre Friday 6.15am RPM

Fitness First
Rockdale
Mon 6.00am Ride
Five Dock Mon 5.45pm RPM
Rockdale
Tue 6.30pm RPM
Walker St Thu 6.00am RPM
Rockdale HiPf Sat 8.15am RPM

YMCA
Riverwood Mon 7.30pm RPM
Riverwood Tue 6.15am RPM



Music

New music for RPM  release 54

1 Moves Like Jagger (Mix II)
            - January Rays Feat. Riley
2 San Francisco (Remix III)
            - Fine Tunes
3 Run To You (Hands Up Club Mix)
            - Jan Wayne Feat. Fab
4 Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
            - Coldplay
5 Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites (Dirtyphonics Remix)
            - Skrillex
6 Just Be (Antillas Club Mix)
            - Tiesto Feat. Kirsty Hawkshaw
7 Hold Me Tonight (Empyre One Remix)
            - Manian
8 Gotta Be Wrong Sometimes
            - O.A.R.
9 It Girl  
          - Jason Derülo

The PPCA free version has a similar sound to the Original version so all good.


Sleep Ride Eat Repeat –
see ya Mike





--
Posted By Michael Clement to Mikes Fitness at 3/18/2012 04:00:00 AM



--
Michael Clement
clementmi@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------
Sleep Ride Eat Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment