Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fitness News #7

Fitness News #7

 

Hi Guys and Gals, Welcome to Fitness News #7

 

How's the fruit consumption going?  Some good deals on grapes and the cherries are great.  For the record, the Banana I brought today cost $1.20

 

Music

 

Instructors have received regular communications advising them to continue with the existing cover music.  I think we can forget any hope of original music returning for quite some time.  Time to put this topic to rest…

 

Alcohol

 

Saturday night I was having dinner in a restaurant and having a glass of wine.  It got me thinking of a lady I know who regularly complained that she did all this exercise, watched her diet and she couldn't shift that final bit of weight.  However whenever you went over her place, she would have a glass of wine in her hand.

 

So what impact does alcohol have on weight?  1 gram of alcohol has 7 calories (29kj).  A kilo of fat is approximately 7000 calories, therefore 1000 grams of alcohol = 1 kilo of  fat. 

 

Now if 750ml bottle of wine is 12% alcohol, then the bottle holds 90 grams of alcohol, about 22.5 grams per glass.  Divide 1000 grams by 22.5 grams and we can determine that 44.5 glasses of wine (4 glasses per bottle).  Have a glass of wine with your dinner every night and you put on a kilo every 6 ½ weeks.

 

Now if my maths is correct then that's 8.2kg of weight gain per year.  Two glasses per night and your packing on 16.4kg per year.

 

So what to do?  Simply alcohol needs to be an occasional food.  I don't have any in my house and when I really feel like a drink I walk down to the local and buy the beer or wine that I wish to drink.  I know better that to have it in the house, I'll end up drinking it every night.

 

Classes

The mega run at Rockdale is done,  Luana and Joe are back.  Stuart is still injured so I'll be covering Thursday mornings at Market St for the foreseeable future.

 

Mon 14/02/11 5:45 PM           5Dock Mon 5.45pm

Tue 15/02/11 6:45 PM            Rock Tue 6.45pm

Wed 16/02/11 6:15 AM          Rock Wed 6.15am Covering for Luana

Wed 16/02/11 5:45 PM           N Strath Wed 5.45pm

Thu 17/02/11 7:00 AM           Market Thu 7.00am Covering for Stuart

Sat 19/02/11 8:15 AM            Rock HiPf Sat 8.15am

 

Ask Mike

 

If you have any questions or things you would like to see in the newsletter, then let me know

 

See you at the Gym

 

Cheers Mike

 

 

Sleep Ride Eat Repeat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment